Sunday, November 16, 2014

"Sail Out"

  Septiembre 14, 2014


Today flowed.The last few days of training has been a smooth sail as I got closer to my training site mates as well as well the TEFLeros before swearing in ceremony. Despite being sick for three days from eating a burrito after our nocturnal rendezvous, I am much better and can proudly say that now we are officially Peace Corp Volunteers AND I am officially a member of the Gutierrez family! The day before I left my training site,  my host aunt tells me “Ahora voz sos Kimberly Gutierez!” (Now you are Kimberly Guitierez). Apparently my host mother did not want to have a despidida for me or a “going away” party because she says she ¨knows I’m going to come back.¨ She’s correct. I will indeed be traveling back to Masaya to see my training family for the end of the year celebration to spend time with them for a few days or five.
As I was about to travel to by site in Madriz, I didn’t feel as much anxiety that I thought I had been building up over the past few days.   I thought I would worry myself over trying to catch the earliest bus for my 6 hour magical rollercoaster ride to the highest point above sea level in Nicaragua. I ended up getting a ride to the capital by my host uncle, my taxi driver was 30 minutes early and pretty preppy to be taking me to the bus station at 6:15a.m, had time to watch my bags get on the bus, had a few minutes to get to know the coborador on the Expresso bus (person who collects money and assists the driver). After a four hour ride I met my host sisters at the first stop in Somoto who generously helped me with my bags, and met the bus driver (Chumpuyun---don’t ask why, that’s his  nick name) to get a seat for the two hour seat clutching ride to the higher mountainside. When we arrived, I was welcomed by the cool mountain fresh air that whipped around my neck and warm hugs by my host family. 

Toward the evening I was able to relax a bit after putting my things away. My host sister called me outside so that I could meet her teenage friends which were full of energy and of course…jokes. After breaking the ice, they seemed to have let their guard down with me enough to ask for my help on a Christmas project they had been preparing to have for the impoverished children that lived on the outskirts of the 26 communities that resided around Cusmapa (my town)…some as far as 4 hours away. These four teens (Los Divinos Niños de Jesus) want to create an annual Christmas project that will teach children of the community about the story of Jesus Christ, involve them in various outdoor activities, feed them lunch for free,   provide care packages and distribute gently used toys as their Christmas presents. These students completely blew my mind with their creative ideas, they just needed a little push with organization and implementation which is where I am, fortunately, able to help. Stay tuned.





-Signed Newbie

1 comment:

  1. Absolutely and amazingly awesome Kim! When it comes to your *charge and passion,* all that's changed is your geographic location. You are to Peace Corp as hand is to glove. Your work now is only an extension to the work you began as a young girl many years ago at the Lauderhill
    B & G Club. Now you've earned the title of a true professional and you're changing lives globally. I couldn't be more proud of you BabyGirl and cannot help but secretly think that perhaps I played a small role in influencing who you've become! ����

    ReplyDelete